Frequently Asked Questions - All FAQs

Please select your question category

Search FAQs
View all frequently asked questions
Notify the Atlantic City Electric Company online by clicking here.
If you missed the scheduled pickup, the trucks will not go back and pick them up. You will need to take your leaves to the Galloway Road Convenience Center or wait for the next pickup if there is one scheduled.
Yes, you will need to acquire a driveway apron permit through the Galloway Township Public Works Department. You will be given a diagram with requirements and this permit will require an application fee.
Contact the Public Works Department at (609) 652-3700 ext 244 during office hours or contact police dispatch after hours at (609) 652-3705. We will respond and determine responsibility and advise or correct the problem. Please be aware that the homeowner is responsible from the house to the curbside lateral and the Township is responsible from the curbside lateral and roadway.
The public water is through New Jersey American Water Company. The 24 hour Customer Care Center number is 1-800-652-6987.
Household trash and recyclables are privately contract out by the homeowner. Galloway Township does not provide trash or recyclable pickup.
Bulk items are privately contracted out by the homeowner or you may haul your item(s) to the Atlantic County Utilities Authority (ACUA) located in Egg Harbor Township. For more information contact the ACUA at (609) 272-6950 or on the web at Either way there will be a charge to dispose of these items.
If the pot hole is located on a county road, you will need to notify the county by calling 1-888-426-9243 or by clicking here.
If the pot hole is located on a state road, you will need to notify the state by clicking here.
If the pot hole is located on a township road, you will need to contact the public works department at (609) 652-3700 ext. 244 during business hours.
The Atlantic County Road Department's telephone number is (609) 645-5830.
  •  Aloe Street
  •  Bremen Avenue (Atlantic Avenue to Indian Cabin Road)
  • Clarks Landing Road
  • Cologne Avenue (Hamilton Township border to Moss Mill Road)
  • Cologne-Port Republic Road
  • Duerer Street
  • English Creek Road
  • Jimmie Leeds Road
  • Leeds Point Road
  • Moss Mill Road
  • Motts Creek Road
  • Old New York Road
  • Oyster Creek Road
  • Pitney Road
  • Pomona Road
  • Race Track Road
  • Sixth Avenue
  • Smithville Boulevard
  • Tilton Road
The New Jersey Department of Transporation's telephone number is (609) 588-6213.
  • New York Road (Route 9)
  • Philadelphia Avenue (Route 50)
  • White Horse Pike (Route 30)
If the deer is on a state road (see above for list & number) you will need to call the state.
If the deer is on a county road (see above for list & number) you will need to call the county.
If the deer is on a township road you can call the public works department 8:30am to 4:30pm at (609) 652-3700 ext. 244.
You are not required to have a lawyer for a municipal court matter. The decision is yours.
It is important to understand that court staff are interested in answering all procedural questions you may have about how the court will handle your case. However, they cannot offer legal advice or make recommendations to you about your case or recommend a lawyer.
Non-criminal matters such as Traffic, Boating, Local Ordinance, Fish and Game, and Parks and Forests violations can often be paid through the mail or at the court office, also known as a Violations Bureau.
If you wish to plead guilty and give up your right to a hearing for such a violation, you may do so, provided "court appearance required" has not been checked on the ticket and provided the charge is listed on the Statewide Violations Bureau Schedule. If the penalty does not appear on the back of the ticket, contact the court office to find out whether a court appearance is required.
To pay your summons complete, the APPEARANCE, PLEA AND WAIVER section on the back of your ticket and bring or mail it with payment in the correct amount, to the Violations Bureau at the address found on the ticket. Payment is due by the court date. Payments received after the court date may be assessed additional penalties.
Failure to pay may result in a suspension of your driving privileges and the issuance of a warrant.
A court appearance is always required for criminal matters, such as an assault, shoplifting, harassment or drug charge. In traffic or other matters, if "court appearance required" is checked on the ticket, you must appear in court at the time and place indicated, even if you wish to plead guilty.
If "court appearance required" is not checked on the traffic ticket, you must still appear in court if:
  • You wish to have a trial
  • The charge is not listed on the Statewide Violations Bureau Schedule
  • Personal injury is involved
Please notify the appropriate court of disability accommodation needs.
On your court date, you should arrive at the courthouse about 15 minutes early. To assist you, I've listed some examples of proper courtroom "etiquette" as follows:
  • You may not use any electronic devices in the courtroom, unless you are a member of the NJ Bar or you have prior written approval from the Trial Court Administrator. This includes cell phones. You must have your cell phone turned off during the court session. Remain quiet until called by the Judge. An audio recording is made of every court session. To preserve all litigants' rights the only people talking should be the people addressed by the court (Judge).
  • When you enter the courtroom, please remove your hat (unless doing so conflicts with your religious belief).
  • You may not eat, drink or smoke in the courtroom.
  • You should only read court-provided informational pamphlets or material pertaining to your case. All parties must be seated (fire regulations).You should remain seated until called. However, when addressing the Judge, you should always stand if physically possible.
  • While children are not prohibited, court is not a "fun" place for children. It is difficult for them to be quiet and stay still, as needed to preserve all parties rights. It is recommended that you arrange childcare for your children and not bring them to court.
If you intend to plead not guilty to the offense charged on the summons and you want to have a trial, you must notify the court at least seven days before your scheduled date. (Address and other instructions can be found on your summons.) If you fail to notify the court, it may be necessary for you to make two court appearances.

It is very important that you arrive in court on the day and time stated on your ticket, summons, subpoena or court notice. Before the session starts or once court begins, a court staff member will be in the courtroom checking you in and directing you. If you arrive late or if you come and do not see a staff member checking people in, you should notify court personnel at the court window immediately. You may also wish to check the court calendar posted at the entrance to the courtroom to verify that your matter is listed.

At the beginning of the court session, the Judge will give an opening statement explaining court procedures, Defendants' rights and penalties. As each case is called, the Judge will individually advise each Defendant of his or her rights. A case may be postponed to permit the Defendant to hire a lawyer. If the Defendant wishes to go ahead without a lawyer, the Judge will ask for his or her plea. If the Defendant pleads guilty, the Judge will ask questions regarding the offense charged to make sure there is good reason for the guilty plea.

If the Defendant pleads not guilty and all involved parties are present and prepared, the case will proceed to trial. Once the Judge has heard the testimony, he or she will decide if the Defendant is guilty, not guilty or if the case should be dismissed. If the Defendant pleads guilty or is found guilty after a trial, the Judge will impose a sentence.

All Municipal Court proceedings are sound recorded. Please remain quiet. The length of time you will be in court depends on many things. Some cases take longer than others. So, please be patient.

If the Defendant does not appear, a warrant may be issued and his or her driving privileges may be suspended. Witnesses will be notified through the mail when they are to return.

The order in which cases are called is controlled by the New Jersey Court Rules. Cases are generally called in the following order:
  • Requests for postponements Arraignments (Advising Defendants of rights/penalties)
  • Guilty pleas
a. Where Defendant is represented by a lawyer.
b. Where the Defendant is not represented by a lawyer
  • Not guilty pleas
a. Where Defendant is represented by a lawyer.
b. Where the Defendant is not represented by a lawyer
A Defendant is entitled to be represented by the Public Defender when:
  • The potential sentence presents a risk of the Defendant going to jail, losing driving privileges or receiving a substantial fine, and
  • The court determines that the Defendant is unable to afford a lawyer
The Defendant will be required to complete an application form that can be obtained from the court. The court may charge a non-refundable application fee of up to $200. The Judge will review the application and decide if the Defendant qualifies for a Public Defender. Proof of income or employment (tax returns, pay stubs, etc.) may be required.
Before trial, a Defendant may speak with the Prosecutor to try to settle his or her case through a plea agreement.
The New Jersey Supreme Court allows plea agreements to be made within the Municipal Courts, except in drunk driving and certain drug-related cases. It is an agreement between the Defendant and the Prosecutor about how the case will be handled. In exchange for a guilty plea, the Prosecutor may amend the charge to one that is less serious or that may result in fewer points on as driver's license. Certain charges may be dismissed or a specific sentence may be recommended. The Judge must approve all plea agreements.

There are no jury trials in the Municipal Court. At the trial date, the Judge will take testimony from all witnesses under oath. The Defendant and his or her lawyer, if represented, will sit at one table. The Prosecutor will sit at the other table. Witnesses may be asked to stay outside the courtroom until it is their turn to testify. The Prosecutor will go first and will present any witnesses or evidence needed to prove the charge against the Defendant. Each witness will either swear or affirm to tell the truth. As each witness for the prosecution testifies, the Defendant or his or her lawyer, if represented, will have an opportunity to ask questions about what was testified to. This is called cross-examination.

Once the prosecution is finished, it will be the Defendant's turn. The Defendant can present witnesses or other evidence to disprove the Prosecutor's case. The Defendant does not have to provide any information and does not have to testify. It is up to the prosecution to prove the case "beyond a reasonable doubt."

When all the witnesses have testified, the Defendant or his or her lawyer may tell the Judge why the case was not proven against the Defendant.

The Judge, after hearing all the testimony and witnesses, will make the decision whether the case has been proven beyond a reasonable doubt. If the Judge finds the Defendant "Not Guilty," the case is over.

If the Judge finds the Defendant "Guilty," the Judge will sentence the Defendant.



The Judge must follow the law in deciding the amount of any fine imposed.  Sometimes there are minimum penalties and mandatory assessments that must be imposed by law.  Fines are generally expected to be paid at the time they are imposed.

The Judge may allow the fine to be paid in installments if he or she is satisfied that payment cannot be made in full.  You may apply for partial payments by filling out a form.  The Judge will then make a decision about your payment arrangements.  You will sign a court order that will explain the terms of your payments.  Failure to comply with this order can result in a warrant for your arrest and/or suspension of your driving privileges.


The maximum jail term that can be imposed for offenses heard in the municipal court is six months.  Sentences are served at the Atlantic County Justice Facility or Cape May County Corrections Center.

License Suspension

Many offenses require suspensions for a minimum period.  You cannot drive for any reason until the period of suspension ends, you have paid your restoration fee, and have received written notification from the Division of Motor Vehicles that your driving privileges have been restored.  If your license has been suspended for failure to appear, pay fines, or comply with a condition of your sentence, generally it will not be restored until your case is completed.  Conditional or special work licenses are not allowed in New Jersey.

Intoxicated Driver Resource Center (IDRC)

If convicted of DWI or refusal to take a Breathalyzer, the court must order attendance at the Intoxicated Driver Resource Center, where the Defendant must satisfy the screening, evaluation, referral program and fee requirements.  Failure to comply with the IRDC guidelines will result in further court action.

Community Service

By law, the Judge must order community service for certain traffic offenses and may order community service for a criminal conviction.  The Defendant must work for a municipality or non-profit organization for a certain period of time without compensation.  Failure to perform community service will result in the case being returned to court.


In addition to the penalties imposed by the court for moving traffic violations, the Division of Motor Vehicles will also assess points on driving records.  Most violations result in two points, but it can be as high as eight for a single offense.  The New Jersey Department of Insurance may also assess surcharges on insurance payments. 

The Judge, Court Administrator, or a police officer may suggest that the parties try to settle their differences through mediation. This is a confidential process which allows the parties to meet with a mediator who will aid them in resolving their dispute. You may request mediation before your court date, and the court will decide if your case is eligible. Often mediation takes place on the same day as court. If this is not possible, a future date will be assigned. You may request mediation instead of filing a formal complaint.
Please notify court staff as soon as possible if you need a foreign language or sign interpreter. Please be sure to include in your notification any special language dialect required.
This procedure allows Defendants charged with certain drug offenses to be monitored for a period of time determined by the court. The Judge may require the Defendant to attend drug counseling and have random drug tests. To be eligible, a Defendant must have:
  • Never been convicted of a drug offense in any state or federal court, and
  • Never been granted a conditional discharge before
  • Never received Pre-Trail Intervention (PTI) or Pre-Trial Diversion in any state or federal court
If granted a conditional discharge, the Defendant must pay mandatory assessments, and the Judge may suspend his or her driving privileges. If during the monitoring period no additional offenses have been committed, and there is compliance with all conditions (including satisfying all financial obligations), the original charges will be dismissed.
Bail is the money or property deposited with the court to obtain the temporary release of a Defendant on the condition that the Defendant will appear in court at every stage of the proceedings until final disposition. (This can be a dismissal, a plea of guilty or a finding of guilty or not guilty.)
Checks and money orders are generally accepted for bail, but must be made payable to the respective court on the warrant. The identification of the person posting bail must match the name and address printed on the check. Checks are not permitted to be accepted on certain charges.
Bail may be forfeited if the Defendant fails to appear for any court date and a warrant may be reissued. It is important that the person who is released on bail knows the exact date and time of his or her court date and appears at that time.
Bail can only be returned to the person who posted it. The bail receipt should be brought to court to expedite the return of bail. It may be possible to apply the bail to any fines or assessments that are imposed by the court if the owner of the bail agrees.
In some minor traffic offenses, a bail waiver may be signed. In this instance, the Defendant enters a guilty plea, gives up his or her right to a trial and authorizes the court to apply the bail posted against fines and costs owed.
If you do not agree with the court's decision, you may appeal to the Superior Court. The appeal does not involve a new trial. No new testimony or new witnesses may be considered. The Superior Court reviews the transcript of the Municipal Court Judge, and will reverse the decision only if there has been a mistake made regarding the facts or the law.
An appeal must be filed within 20 calendar days of the Municipal Court Judge's decision. A filing fee and transcript deposit is due at that time. Upon request, the Court Administrator will supply all of the necessary forms to be filed with the court office to appeal the decision. You may request that your penalty be stayed (put on hold) pending the appeal. The Municipal Court Judge will decide whether or not to do so.
To obtain a certified copy of a Birth, Marriage, Domestic Partnership, Civil Union or Death Record occurring in Galloway Township, please send a written request with a copy of Photo ID (Valid Driver’s License) showing address or Photo ID without address and one (1) other form of ID showing shipping address or alternate forms of ID showing shipping address. Galloway Township will only ship to the address on the ID.
Acceptable types of alternate identification are: Driver’s license without photo, vehicle registration, insurance card, voter registration card, passport, green card, county ID, school ID, utility bill.
Mail to: Galloway Township Clerk’s Office
300 East Jimmie Leeds Road
Galloway, NJ 08205
The fee is $25.00 cash or money order for each copy issued.
Stormwater flows directly into our rivers, lakes, streams and the ocean or into a stormwater system through a storm drain.
Storm drains are frequently located in parking lots and along the curbs of roadways. The grate that prevents larger objects from flowing into the storm sewer system is called a catch basin. Once below ground, the stormwater flows through pipes, which lead to an outfall where the stormwater usually enters a stream, river or lake.
In some areas, the outfall may lead to a stormwater management basin. These basins control the flow and improve the quality of stormwater, depending on how they are designed. They can also recharge groundwater systems.
In some urban areas of the state, the stormwater and sanitary sewer systems may be combined. Here both stormwater and sewage from households and businesses travel together in the same pipes and are treated at sewage treatment plants except during heavy rains. During these occasions, both the stormwater and untreated sewage exceed the capacity of the treatment plant, and this overflow is directed into local waterways.
Urbanization and increasing commercial and residential development have a great impact on local water resources. More impervious surfaces (roads, rooftops, parking lots and other hard surfaces that do not allow stormwater to soak into the ground) increase the rate of stormwater runoff. This means a greater volume of water carrying pollution into surface waters and less water soaking into the ground. These contaminants include litter; cigarette butts and other debris from sidewalks; motor oil poured into storm sewers; settled air pollutants; pet wastes; yard wastes; and pesticides and fertilizers from lawn care. Less water soaking into the ground also lowers ground water levels, which can dry up streams and hurt stream ecosystems, and can reduce the supply of well water.

There are inexpensive ways to control excess runoff created by patios, driveways, sidewalks and roofs. Whatever the soil drainage condition in your neighborhood, landscaping and careful grading of your property's surface area can be used to control runoff, reduce its speed and increase the time over which it is released. For example, land immediately adjacent to your house needs to have a downhill slope so that water does not seep through the foundation. Once the water has been carried 10 feet from the house, the surface should be graded so that runoff is released gradually.

Surface runoff can be decreased and ground water infiltration increased by following these suggestions:

  • Install gravel trenches along driveways or patios to collect stormwater and filter it into the soil.
  • Plant sod on bare patches in your lawn as soon as possible to avoid erosion.
  • Grade all areas away from your house at a gentle slope.
  • Use a grass swale, which is a man-made depression, to move water from one area to another.
  • Plant shrubs and trees to promote infiltration (see chapter on lawn and garden care).
  • If you are building a new home or in a position to consider regrading your property, you may want to create a basin, which will hold all runoff and allow it to infiltrate the soil over a longer period of time. This should be done only where drainage is good. Alternatively, you may be able to create a gently rolling surface or a system of berms, or mounds, and swales to slow run-off. Berms and swales are slight elevations and depressions in the surface that provide channels along which water will flow. If you have a wet area, you may be able to move the basin to a less used area of the yard – around shrubs or trees, for example – by installing a swale to carry the water across the yard. Be advised that most activities performed in regulated wetlands require a permit. Contact DEP Land Use Regulation for information at (609) 292-0060. Plant trees and shrubs that thrive in wet soils in the new wet area.

One method of reducing stormwater runoff is to minimize the amount of impervious surfaces such as concrete sidewalks and asphalt driveways. Impervious surfaces do not allow runoff to seep into the ground. Use pervious surfaces instead. A paving surface that allows water to soak in may seem impossible, but there are many materials that provide the durability of concrete while allowing rainwater to filter down into the ground. If you are planning a new patio, walkway or driveway, there are several attractive alternatives to concrete. Some examples of these needs are:

  • Wood or recycled material decks, usually installed for their functional good looks, can serve as a form of porous pavement. Redwood, cedar and treated pine are as durable as most nonporous surfaces such as asphalt or concrete. Decking allows rainwater to soak into the ground beneath it, and the space between the planks provides ample room for precipitation to drain directly onto the soil surface. As long as minimal air space is maintained between the soil surface and the decking, wood rot can be minimized.
  • If you are installing a new patio or rebuilding a crumbling sidewalk, you do not need to use the typical slab concrete. Using bricks, interlocking pavers or flat stones (flagstone, bluestone or granite), you can construct an attractive, durable walkway. If placed on well-drained soil or on a sand or gravel bed, these modular pavers allow rainwater infiltration. Avoid using chemicals to control weeds growing in the joints between the pavers; Corsican mint or moss can crowd out weeds and add beauty to the paved area.
  • Pre-cast concrete lattice pavers also rest on a bed of sand and gravel and allow rain to soak slowly into the ground.
  • Dutch drains, which are containers of gravel with holes used to infiltrate water from rooftops directly into the ground, carry water from rain spouts into the soil, where it gradually filters into the ground.
    These types of materials can be used wherever natural soil drainage is good and there are no problems with either bedrock near the surface or seasonal high water table.

Significant strides have also been made in the last few decades in developing porous asphalt pavement. This material is similar to conventional asphalt in durability, but it contains a much smaller percentage of very fine particles. As a result, the asphalt allows water to soak through into the soil below.

Planting trees is one way to protect land and local streams from the damage caused by excessive runoff and erosion. Trees have long been appreciated for their beauty, but their help in minimizing erosion is not as well known. Landscaping by planting shrubs, trees and ground covers has definite environmental benefits and enhances the appearance and value of property. Realtors suggest that mature trees increase the value of homes as well as the speed of sale.

Plants and trees can create outdoor rooms where you and your family can work and play. Well-planned landscaping can reduce heating and cooling costs for your house by as much as 30 percent. New shrubs and trees may attract birds and wildlife. Trees, shrubs and ground cover also require less maintenance than grass. Because trees and shrubs require less fertilizer and fewer herbicides than grass, the chances of polluting streams is minimized.

Another possibility is landscaping for wildlife. By selecting appropriate plants, landscaping can both reduce water pollution and serve wildlife. Four basic elements are needed for wildlife: food, water, shelter and space. Food can be supplied through vegetation that provides seeds, nuts or berries. Water, if not available nearby as a stream or lake, can be provided as a small pool or pond. Vegetation, a pond or even a brush pile can serve as shelter, providing protection from predators and the weather. Space needs vary among wildlife but include enough room to reproduce, find food and carry on the different stages of their life cycle. The specifics depend on whether you are trying to attract a variety of wildlife or a certain species, such as butterflies or hummingbirds. For more information, contact DEP Division of Fish, Game and Wildlife, CN 400, Trenton, NJ 08625-0400.

An environmentally sensitive landscape reduces the erosive force of rainwater runoff and increases the value of your home. By planting trees, shrubs and ground cover, you encourage excess rainwater to filter slowly into the soil instead of flowing directly into storm drains or nearby streams. Choosing trees and plants that are appropriate for your soil and growing conditions will ensure that you will have a beautiful yard.

For more information on landscaping, see the chapter on Lawn and Garden Care.

By following these few simple guidelines, you can make your home more attractive and help prevent erosion:

  • Never dump motor oil, grass trimmings, leaves, animal waste or other pollutants into the roadway or stormwater catch basins.
  • Landscape your yard to minimize rainwater runoff.
  • Divert rain from paved surfaces onto grass to permit gradual infiltration.
  • Preserve the established trees in your neighborhood, which help minimize the damage caused by surface runoff.
  • Choose the appropriate plants, shrubs and trees for the soil in your yard; do not select plants that need lots of watering, which increases surface runoff.
  • Consult your local nursery or your county’s Rutgers Cooperative Research and Extension office for advice on which plants, shrubs and trees will grow well in your yard.
After a representative from the assessor's office inspects the property (in its entirety), the property is assessed at the current market value (as of October 1). The added assessment is the amount of the difference between the old assessment and the value of the entire property at the end of the project, not the amenity itself or cost of the job. The property must be valued from scratch. The result is adjusted to the same valuation date as the date of the last town wide revaluation so that everyone has the same base year for assessment. The assessment is calculated as of October 1 and prorated for the months that it was complete. The completion date is determined by the Assessor according to "readiness for intended use" and not by the date of the final inspection. In cases where it was completed during the prior year, an omitted added assessment bill will also be received. All bills are sent out by the Tax Collector by October 25 and due payable, in full, on the following November 1. The dates for added and omitted added assessments, as well as the time frame in which the bills are mailed out and due payable, are mandated by the State of New Jersey. 
No. The final inspection by the building department does not determine the date of assessment. The assessor must value the property when that property is "substantially ready for its intended use", which is determined by the assessor and may pre-date the date used for the Certificate of Occupancy or the date of a final inspection. 

In cases where the permit does not include everything you have done, for instance you had a siding permit and you finished the basement when the work was being done, the assessor must address all of the changes during the inspection. The assessor must value the entire property each time it is re-assessed.

Not getting a permit for work done in your home does not prevent an assessment. It is also unwise to have work done without a permit for two reasons 1) building inspections are necessary for safety, not a method for raising revenue for the Township. If your house had a fire and sustained damage, and you did not get the proper permits and inspections, your insurance company might not reimburse you for damage, and 2) if the assessor's office discovers that you have done something to improve your property value, an assessment is made regardless of whether there was a permit or not. The assessor will then have to assume that the work had been done within the past two years and issue assessments for both the current and the past year. 

When you get the bill, you are obligated to pay it in full, regardless of whether or not you agree to the assessment figure on the bill. You then have until December 1 of that year to appeal the added assessment. After that date, no one will be able to appeal the added assessment, even the assessor. Please note that you do not have to speak to, or meet with, the assessor prior to filing an appeal. Additionally, your taxes must be paid in full or the case will not be heard in court.